October is National Window Covering Safety Month
…and your child’s safety is our top priority
Blinds and shades with cords can be dangerous to children. The Window Covering Safety Council, a group of major U.S. manufacturers, importers, and retailers of window coverings, provides education about window cord safety. Check out their website for up-to-date information and advice:
Because young children can become entangled in window cords that are within their reach, the Safety Council urges parents and caregivers to follow these safety rules:
- Keep cribs and beds away from windows.
- Make sure all window treatment cords are short enough to be out of the reach of children.
- Securely anchor all continuous loop cords to the wall or window frame.
- Repair blinds and shades manufactured before 2001 with “retrofit cord repair devices,” or replace them with today’s safer products.
- Opt for cordless treatments in children’s bedrooms and play areas.
Using safety in window coverings will help protect your pets, as well. Educate yourself and protect your family.
Call me if you need any help. Your child’s safety is important to me!